Monday, May 10, 2010

Bye, Bye Gordon

I had hoped to be drinking this bottle of “Gordon” Brown Ale obtained here while celebrating the re-election of a Labour government. It didn’t work out that way and tonight Gordon has quite properly and honourably fallen on his No. 10 sword and resigned as Party leader.

So I thought I might as well swig it down anyway.

Any excuse some would say.

I am reminded that “All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs". Enoch Powell, Joseph Chamberlain (Thames and Hudson, 1977), p. 151.

What a rough old business is politics.

This is the email he sent to Party members this afternoon.

“I wanted to explain to you the decision I have taken today.

I have said since Friday that it is crucial that this country, which I love so dearly, has a principled and strong government that can meet the challenge of securing the recovery and changing our politics.

As we know, the Liberal Democrats felt that they should first talk to the Conservative Party. Mr Clegg has just informed me this afternoon that he intends to continue those discussions and now wants to open up formal discussions with the Labour Party. I think it is sensible that we respond positively.

It is clear to me that there is a progressive majority in Britain and I believe it could be in the interests of the whole country to form a progressive coalition government. If the national interest can be served by such a coalition then I should discharge the duty to form that government.

But I have no desire to stay in my position longer than is needed to ensure that the path to progress is assured. The reason we have a hung Parliament is that no single party and no single leader was able to win the full support of the country. As the leader of this great party, I must accept that is a judgement on me.

Therefore I intend to ask the Labour Party to set in train the process needed for a leadership election. I would hope for a leader to be in place by Labour Party conference. I will play no part in that contest and will back no individual candidate.

Once again can I thank you for your unstinting help and commitment to this wonderful party. Sarah and I appreciate the kindness you have shown us over the years.

I will of course stay in contact with you over the coming weeks and months.

Yours sincerely

Gordon Brown"

I still don't think the maths will work out for a Labour/Lib Dem coalition.  Not least since the Nats will not play ball and everyone knows that most of the Labour Party MP serial rebels will just carry on as usual.

5 comments:

Brian said...

He has shown more dignity making that speech ,than The Tories and their right wing media allies ,who have spent the last two years writing him off,think you will find John that the Nats would be desperate to vote with a 'progresive alliance' ,whatever that means,it may not pan out,my money would still be on the Tories and the Lib Dems going into govt together.
A chance to have a real debate about the future of the Labour Party?
Have a look at this link,Mandelsons been plotting this for months
http://www.tribunemagazine.co.uk/2010/05/07/how-they-undermined-gordon-to-get-into-bed-with-clegg/

Anonymous said...

Why pay homage to Gordon Brown?. That is the problem with you die hard Labour lot. You can't condem anyone that is Labour even if they are wrong. If Gordon Brown killed your mother, you would still support him because he Labour.

GORDON BROWN HAS SCREWED UP THE ECONOMY!!!!!

NOW WE HAVE TO FACE CUTS IN PUBLIC SERVICES AN THAT IS DOWN TO GORDON BROWN FOR NOT CONTROLLING THE BANKS!!!!!!


WE HAVE BLOWN THE WEALTH OF THIS COUNTRY. WE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF SUPPORTING BRITISH INDUSTRY AT LEAST THERE WOULD BE NATIONAL PRIDE!!

John Gray said...

Hi Brian

Yes, I agree with you about Gordon but I think its missing the point having a go at Mandelson? Yes, we do need a proper debate on the future of the Party.

Hi anon

Why not indeed try and debate things rather than just make pointless rant and rave anon comments? Just a thought!

Anonymous said...

“Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid there is no money.

Kind regards and good luck!

Liam.”

This is what Gordon Brown has done to this country!

John Gray said...

Hi Anon

It_was_a_J_O_K_e!

wakey, wakey!