Tuesday, February 09, 2010

UNISON Housing Association Branch AGM (1)

Tonight I attended the first of the four AGMs of my UNISON branch. Since we have members all over London and the South east in order to encourage attendance we hold meetings in South, West, East and central London.

UIA (Union insurance) who are part of UNISONplus services was there with lots of useful information and “freebies”.

The meeting was held in Family Mosaic Housing Association headquarters near London Bridge.

I have been already returned unopposed as the branch Labour Link and Health & Safety Officer.

The Key issue discussed was the Notting Hill Housing Strike ballot (the campaign for dignity & respect - more to follow); other elections; motions on branch levy, donation to UNISON welfare, defending members’ interests, definition of low paid members and campaigning against the BNP.

I found the voting patterns on whether or not to continue with our branch affiliations fascinating.

I made a brief supplementary to my UNISON Labour Link annual report to say that a date has agreed for the Housing Minister, John Healey, to speak to members at the House of Commons has been agreed. It will take place 6-8pm on Tuesday 9 March and all our (1000 plus) Labour Link members will be mailed out invites in the near future. Afterwards we hope to arrange tours of the House of Commons and light refreshments.

I’ll post my Labour Link and Health & Safety officer annual reports next.

No comments: