Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Testing the Water

Totally off message – for years I have had a number of family picture slides from when I was a kid in a box in the attic. Like no doubt many people I have always been meaning to get them transferred to a disc or properly printed whatever. However, I have never actually got around to doing anything with them.

Recently my neighbour, who does something technical in telly, bought a decent slide scanner and he has let me use it. The results are amazing and bring back all sort of memories.

Picture is of big sister Helen, moi and little sister Lucy with our Dad (sadly no longer with us) somewhere lovely circa 1970-ish. No doubt many other people will have similar collections tucked away. I would really encourage you to do something with them while you can. Some of the slides were very badly damaged with age.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just what I want Mr G! Any recommendations on the slide scanner -and does it do B&w pics?

John Gray said...

Hi Anon
Nikon Sf-210 – Actually, although the quality of the scans were good, it is very, very expensive (the quality of the cheaper ones I have seen are pretty poor). It was all actually a bit of a pain. Old paper slides jammed, and plastic ones that were a little warped (most of them) also got stuck. There were problems with a 4 year old Apple Mac. The processing hammered my PC and it took about 7 mins per film.

I have only 2-300 – I would recommend that you use a professional service for such small quantities and only if you have 1000’s to scan that you fork out for something like the Nikon.