Friday, January 25, 2008

James Purnell - DWP Minister (and bad photographer)

Tom P has reminded me that while new Work and Pensions secretary, James Parnell may have many talents, photography is not one of them! In March last year I asked James to take a picture of Tom and I with the journalist Nick Cohen (see photo). We had just been to see Nick talk about his book “What’s Left”. I’ve spoken to James briefly a couple of times since on pension issues. While I don’t agree with everything he says, he knows his stuff (The Radio 4 “Today” programme this morning tried to catch him out by asking "what is an annuity"?).

While many in the trade union movement will regret Peter Hain leaving the Cabinet, I doubt if we have seen the last of him. I believe he will “clear” his name and resume his "colourful" career at some point soon.

No comments: