Monday, November 12, 2007

East London Olympic Site Fire

Just before I was going to knock off for lunch today, someone came into the office and told us about a huge fire outside.

We looked out of the office windows at the massive cloud of black smoke that was billowing out. I popped out to check that it was not on our estate. Soon found out it was several hundred meters away across the motorway.

People’s reactions to the smoke were striking. Many appeared to be visually frightened. Especially parents with young children for obvious reason. It was like something out of the biblical old testament. With all the airplanes flying around many may have suspected a terrorist attack or feared the side effects of pollution.

I didn’t think that it was a terrorist attack since such massive fires have happened now twice in recent years in London. This is the closest. My first thought after all what has gone on recently was just “I hope the fire-fighters are okay”.

No comments: